"You think I know the first thing about how hard your life has been, how you feel, who you are? Because I read Oliver Twist? Does that encapsulate you?...Unless you want to talk about you, who you are. Then I'm fascinated. I'm in...your move, chief"
-Sean: Good Will Hunting
Welcome to the private practice of John Postons Counselling and Therapy. My practice is run independently. I am well connected and consult with colleagues in the Windsor and Essex area. I offer confidential counselling and therapy to individuals, couples, and families for a variety of issues in a residential setting.
I make referrals to specialists as required e.g. addiction, eating disorders, etc. My practice is also staffed by a Gordon Setter named Tessa who will likely greet you at the door and make you feel welcome.
Reaching out for help is a sign of strength. In this day and age, life can be complicated and often overwhelming. Connecting with an outside professional is not only the norm in today’s society, but is a practice that has become increasingly utilized.
COVID 19 RESPONSE
The Novel Corona Virus (COVID-19) has been declared a global pandemic. Make no mistake! We are in the midst of a very real public health threat. This is not something to ignore, avoid, or minimize. Neither is it something that should consume or overwhelm us with fear and anxiety.
Covid -19 Update: July 2021
The Covid-19 pandemic continues to be a very real and dangerous health concern.
ALL IN-PERSON SESSIONS REMAIN SUSPENDED INDEFINiTELY.
Our office is closed from July 1-July 20, and will re-open on July 22, 2021.
We are able to meet with existing clients and book with new clients in one of three ways;
1) Online, using a virtual program called me (very user-friendly)
3) Face Time
To schedule an appointment or for all enquiries, please call us at 519-776-7914
Our office hours:
Monday - Thursday 8:00am - 6:00pm
Friday: 9:00 - 1:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
* Weeknights after 6:00pm by special appointment only
We continue to bill directly to Green Shield. Most benefit plans cover our counselling fees, however, it is recommended that you contact your provider to ensure you are covered.
We accept payment via eTransfers or cheques.
As of February 2021, the hourly fee has increased slightly to $150 / hour.
Please stay safe and follow the Essential Health Guidelines listed below.
Essential Health and Safety Guidelines:
It is important to know and practise these essential safety guidelines:
- Get tested if you are worried you may have COVID-19 or have been in contact with someone exposed to the virus
- Wear a mask or face covering when required or when physical distancing is not possible
- Follow public health guidelines for maintaining a social circle of up to 10 people
- Physically distance (6 feet) with people outside of your social circle and avoid large gatherings of people
- Wash hands frequently using soap and water or alcohol based hand sanitizers
- Avoid touching your face (eyes, nose, mouth)
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow rather than hand
- Monitor your health closely and consistently
- Seek medical attention if you become ill with respiratory symptoms similar to those of COVID 19 (i.e., Cough, fever, difficulty breathing AND recent travel (within 14 days) to affected areas or if you have had close contact with someone who has symptoms and has recently travelled.)
Public Health Resources:
The current situation is changing rapidly. It is important to educate ourselves and adapt to changes as they happen. Here are some Public Health Resources to help keep us informed and updated:
- Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (Local)
- Ontario Health Agency (Provincial)
- Health Canada (Federal)
- World Health Organization (W.H.O.)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (C.D.C)
Mental Health Resources:
- COVID-19: Stress and Mental Health (Windsor Essex County Health Unit)
- Mental Health and Coping During COVID-19 (C.D.C.)
- ‘FACE COVID’ (eBook) is a set of practical steps for responding effectively to the Corona crisis, using the principles of acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT).